we all need to be alone

solitude

My only little guy, Matthew, just spent the day at a local waterpark with his favorite buddy.  A day full of sun, Cheetos, Coke, water slides, and diving boards. A great day just to be a 9-year-old kid on a beautiful Michigan summer day.

After his afternoon of little boy bliss, Matt walks in, asks for yet another snack and wants to watch his favorite show, Mythbusters.  As he’s heading downstairs he stops and says to me, “Mom, I love having some alone time.”  Ah, that’s my boy.  He speaks my soul language.  As an introvert, I need time alone in my day or I cannot function to my fullest capacity.  It has taken me years to really accept this and to carve out the time.

As mothers, alone time should be listed in the mothering manual as a requirement.  Time to let your mind be still for a bit.  Time to breathe without the demands of laundry and dishes.  Time to just be.

It is in this time of quiet that gratitude and peace are found.  It’s so easy to miss the tiny blessings of this season if you can’t slow down for a few moments to cherish them.

Women need solitude in order to find again the true essence of  themselves.  -Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Time alone is very hard to carve out in these mothering years- especially with very little ones where the demands are great and quiet time is at a minimum.  Please hear me here though- don’t deny yourself silence and a little space.

I encourage you to find some space to be alone, even if only for a few moments.  Find a place to quiet your soul for a bit and just breathe.  It’s one gift your heart needs right now.  Be generous and kind.  To yourself.  Your kids and husband need that from you more than clean laundry.

What is one thing you will do to find a few moments of solitude today?

Joining with Moms the Word , Momma Notes, Mama Moments, Titus 2 Tuesdays, Thriving Thursdays, Fellowship Fridays, The Weekend Brew,and The Better Mom

Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email

17 Responses

1. Claire
    Claire 07/08/2013 at 10:54 am | | Reply

Yet another great post mom! I agree, we all need alone time. That’s why I’m always up so late at night, because I get to be alooooone ;)

2. hsmominmo
    hsmominmo 07/08/2013 at 1:07 pm | | Reply

I like this. In our high-tech age of instant and constant input, most of us reallyy get very little alone time. I think of the scripture that says “Be still, and know that I am God”
    Enjoyed your post today, thank you!

3. Donna McMorrow
    Donna McMorrow 07/14/2013 at 1:26 pm | | Reply

Good post. Being alone with God helps us to find stillness. I am alone with God in the car.

4. Renee @Doorkeeper
    Renee @Doorkeeper 07/14/2013 at 6:33 pm | | Reply

Love the AML quote! And I totally agree. Thanks for sharing this restful post & for visiting me at Doorkeeper. Blessings!

5. Barbie
    Barbie 07/15/2013 at 1:07 am | | Reply

My life is loud. With an adult child, a teen and preteen at home, I seldom get any alone time. I like my time in the car, where I worship the Lord freely with whatever flows from my heart. And I like to stay up late, to connect with God, read encouraging posts and just listen to the stillness. I am thankful you linked up with The Weekend Brew. I just started homeschooling this last year, and I work full time, so I am always looking to gleam from seasoned homeschoolers. I am following you along in your journey! Blessings!

6. Jen Harris
    Jen Harris 07/15/2013 at 7:41 pm | | Reply

I used to be a serious morning person, but health and family issues have changed that in the last few years. I’ve been really trying to get up early again so that I can have that quiet alone time in the early morning hours. My days go so much more smoothly when I make that happen!

7. Sarah
    Sarah 07/23/2013 at 9:52 pm | | Reply

So crazy true. Alone time. I’m going to make time for it.

Posted our momma notes tonight. A day late. But it works. So hoping you can come and join. Share your words. your encouragement. your anything mom.

Just moms. Sharing our notes. Creating a melody.

8. Carissa
    Carissa 08/09/2013 at 2:08 pm | | Reply

You are speaking so much truth that my heart needs!!! I feel so guilty for the time I take for myself, if I do… how do you keep reminding yourself of these things? I hope you have someone who encourages you as much as reading a few of your blog posts has encouraged me today :)