your kids need you

smoke

Your kids need you.

They need to know that deep down they are loved.  The need the reassurance that they are wonderful in your sight.  Their quirks need to be celebrated.  Their differences need to be embraced.

If your kids don’t receive encouragement, love, grace, and delight from you they will try to find it in the world.  They will have a hole in their soul that may never be filled. They may never receive God’s love because they won’t know what real love looks like.

How glorious the splendor of the human heart that trusts that it is loved.      ~Brennan Manning

Understand that kids are kids.  They are immature.  They will make a lot of mistakes. Don’t let anger and disappointment cloud your thinking.  They are human beings who deserve as much love and grace as you do.  Especially when they screw up.

Parenting is a God-sized responsibility.  Some days are really hard.  Some seasons are rough.  There’s no way around it.

Never stop working for an honest and open relationship with your kids.  They may push back, but they will know they are loved.

Always fight for the hearts of your kids.

They need you.

Joining with Mom’s the Word, The Better Mom, Momma Notes, Thriving Thursdays, Fellowship Fridays, and The Weekend Brew.

photo credit *Creative Commons License anurag agnihotri via Compfight

Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email

15 Responses

1. Barbie
    Barbie 09/09/2013 at 12:42 pm | | Reply

AMEN!

2. Sarah
    Sarah 09/09/2013 at 2:13 pm | | Reply

Thank you for splashing me today. I so needed this reminder.

I would be delighted to have you share this with our group of moms. Stop by to be encouraged as we have a guest post splashing us all in God’s goodness. And as always, I would be crazy honored to have you link up.

Just moms. Sharing our notes. Creating a melody.

3. Rebeca Jones
    Rebeca Jones 09/09/2013 at 9:54 pm | | Reply

“Parenting is a God-sized responsibility.” Amen, sister! I couldn’t have said it better. I have found the concept of ‘Love Languages’ to be of great value with my kids. If I don’t show them love in the way they uniquely receive it, they may not feel it. And in my house, boy, are there different love languages! I am learning to be fluent in areas I never dreamed. :) Grace and peace to you.

4. Peggy
    Peggy 09/14/2013 at 5:21 pm | | Reply

This is always ALWAYS a great reminder! Thank you for sharing, found you from Thriving Thursdays!

5. Carol
    Carol 09/14/2013 at 5:38 pm | | Reply

So true. Along with demonstrating our love and acceptance, it helps our children if we can notice their areas of strength. Words of honest encouragement are nourishing. God has a purpose for each of us–as children grow in an environment of love, they can be directed to fruitful endeavors.

6. Gina
    Gina 09/15/2013 at 6:49 am | | Reply

Ours beautiful, blessings are adopted and this is so true. The thing we struggle with is there past experiences make it hard for them to believe in a forever family and a forever love. We are working on it though! I will take a look at love languages.

7. Marty
    Marty 09/15/2013 at 7:38 am | | Reply

Great post! I really enjoyed reading and being reminded of the importance of what we do each day with our children.